Monday, February 11, 2013

Changing of the Guard

The doctors here are on for a full 7 days at a time. So, Monday is the day that the "new" doc comes on. We were told to expect a slight change in treatment plan, just because each doctor is an individual. I was very happy with our new doc. He goes by his first name and has hair like my husband. I liked his approach. He more or less told us that it's just a waiting game now, that we need to not rush her, and once kids are on the respirator it's at least a solid week. Then he fiddled with the respirator settings to make Keira work harder. Nice.

Keira is more alert today, which I guess is a good thing. Alert enough to open her eyes, wiggle her feet, and look at us, but not alert enough to fight the ventilator or need to move around a lot.

I've been looking forward to getting her off of the ventilator, but I understand that it's best not to rush that part. Basically, the longer we wait, the more she'll be over the virus. That's good, since she still doesn't cough on her own and, as you know, sometimes that cough can hang on for a long time.

I'm home from work today. Not sure what I was thinking when I thought I would go. Jeff is working but is doing his first day at the cranial-facial clinic (something he'll be doing one day every other month), which is right here at the hospital, so he gets to pop in every now and then. Janie got the boys off to school, but I'm going to have them come back home tonight. I miss them.

3 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of your family all weekend long. I am sorry to hear that you are in the hospital again. Glad she is being a little more alert, it is hard on momma when there is no response. We are just around the corner, don'y be afraid to ask for anything, or even to come crash for an hour or so if needed. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and your sweet baby all-the-time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be certain of our continued prayers. We pray for health, strength, and peace for all of you. Love, The Garden Family of CCN.


    ReplyDelete