Friday, June 17, 2016

Home, Sweet Home

As most of you know, the heavier and longer Keira gets, the more we feel the need to move. Five years ago, we got a lot of bang for our buck with this classic split level, but now it's about the worst floor plan we could imagine. There's no escaping the stairs to come and go from the house and the wheelchair is too cumbersome to bring indoors at all. 

Long story short, banks have recently changed their rules about how they authorize mortgages to people with student loans. Given that we both took the plunge and got our doctorates, you can only imagine what our debt looks like. The amount that the bank approved for us would have made it difficult to find something that would work. I wasn't hoping for a nicer house. I'd have even taken a smaller house. Jeff was joking that Hasbro would need to reconfigure the game Life, since now it may be more accurate to have a postgraduate education OR buy a home. 

Anyhow, we've been contemplating our options for a couple of years when my parents said, "Why don't you buy our house?" Whaaat? This is the house my parents have lived in for 40 years! I've never even imagined them living anywhere else. 

The house is a single level, 1970's ranch style. My dad has built on to it quite a lot over the years, so now it is complete with 4 bedrooms, a study, a living room, and a family room. 

There are things that make this home particularly noteworthy. It has a detached painting studio for my mom. But most impressive is the large and luxurious back yard. It is beautifully landscaped and cared for, complete with a gazebo, rock wall, brick archway, and cobblestone walk. For many years, the garden alone was Mom's full time job. If you have taken a psych class at NNU in the past 3 decades, chances are very good that you've seen it in person yourself. 

I think the first thing I said when Dad offered this option was, "Are you serious?" then, "but you know we can't take care of that yard!" He is well aware that we struggle to get our lawn mowed every week, let alone weeding or pruning! He insisted that he and Mom had discussed it. They would continue to take care of the yard and Mom would continue to own the studio. He proposed that they don't need a house that big anymore and that they'd buy a little house nearby. 

I was certain that Mom and Dad's house would afford us the space and outdoor living opportunities that we would not be able to afford if we went at it alone. Not only that, our kids would stay in the same school district and we'd cut a few minutes off our commute to the office. It was a very intriguing idea, but I wasn't sure Jeff would be up for it. Lo and behold, he was more excited about it than I was! 

Fast forward a few months, and things are moving! When I get home from my trip, our current house will go on the market. My parents have actually convinced a homeowner across the street to sell his home, which is currently a rental, to them! Mom and Dad will be moving out and we will be moving in in August!!

I have given my parents about 100,000 opportunities to back out of this deal. To say this is generous of them is the understatement of the century. They know that downsizing would be prudent, but I don't want to rush them. But by and large they are excited and it's so stressful, they say there's no going back now! It's been a whole family affair as Janie, my mother-in-law, aka realtor of the year, has been lending her services to ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible. 

Mom is staying awake at night, redecorating her new home in her mind. Similarly, I'm brainstorming ways to make the new house my own, not just the house I grew up in. I like the thought that my parents will stay linked to this house, most likely for the rest of their lives. I imagine that I'll become the defacto host of many family dinners and holiday gatherings. My parents don't want to think about it, but as the child who will be most likely to care for them as they get older, it brings me great comfort that they will be right across the street. Barring any extreme circumstances, this living situation should suit us all for a very long time.  

Above all, this home will be great for Keira. One level, room for her wheelchair and other equipment, and move-in ready. In the future, we'll put a ramp out the back food and extend the patio. We'll remodel the master bath to make it an easier place to bathe her. Someday we'll probably widen some doorways. Not to mention, Grandma will live within a baby monitor's reception away!

I'm anticipating feeling much more settled and peaceful about our living situation on the other side of this endeavor. Big summer ahead of us! It will be a lot of effort to get two families moved and settled. It could potentially be a little rough on Keira and the boys. If anyone is interested in helping us (my parents included) with moving and/or painting, etc, we'd be happy to have you! 

1 comment: