Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Future of CMV

As you know, Vera recently lost her daughter, Evie, due to the devastating effects of CMV. I created this 12x12 piece, in memory of her. It includes the scripture, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled. Neither let it be afraid."
As I worked on this, I thought about how Evie and Keira are both part of a CMV prevention movement that is building momentum as we speak. Last week, the first legislation in the United States regarding CMV was passed. In Utah, the governor signed Utah HB0081which mandated CMV education for pregnant women as well as CMV screening for infants who fail their newborn hearing test. This is a great start. I have heard it said that the science is there, a CMV vaccine is possible within the next decade. However, it will taking the public interest and championing to make this a priority.

They say that only about 13% of people have ever heard of CMV, though as many as 80% have had it. CMV is essentially the common cold, but the effects on a developing fetus are far more harmful that a cold suffered by a healthy child or adult. Many, many babies are born with asymptomatic CMV, which means that he or she is infected but the virus goes undetected. For most of these babies, the outcome won't be as catastrophic as it was for Evie, or perhaps not even for Keira. However, CMV is thought to be one of the leading causes of hearing loss, mental retardation, failure to thrive, and other developmental problems. Meaning, what often happens is that babies are born with CMV, it is undetected and they fight it off on their own, but the unseen damage later manifests in these other ways. 

CMV is preventable. I should have been advised to wash my hands frequently, not to share drinks/food with my children, and not to kiss my kids when they were sick. Minor precautions. Also, if you are pregnant and think you may have contracted CMV, or if your ultrasounds are irregular, you can be tested for CMV during pregnancy. I do not wish for my pregnant friends and relatives to be paranoid about their babies having CMV. Heck, I don't even know that I would have been more careful during pregnancy had I been educated about CMV. However, I would have liked to have had the information available, so please do pass the word if the opportunity arises. 

Great information and public awareness flyers, etc are available here and here. I think it's particularly important to have this information available at OB/GYNs, family practices, daycare centers and nurseries. For what it's worth...


No comments:

Post a Comment